I am making signs to help people find my studio. It the second floor and so I need a couple. This is an ideal project to test out the beast. I plugged it in and tried it on a dry run. – It was so noisy I lept back and turned it of with fright.
I was actually shaking.
I tried again, ready for the noise and this time the roll jumped clean out of the machine. I read the instructions over – again. They are a little confusing, stuck to the machine on arrival there was a little sign stating the roll end should point down, yet in the instructions they were to point up. I repeatedly tried different ways and wound the tension arm to different positions, but the roll still flew across the room.
I decided to leave it for now and make my sign.
I didn’t take it quite as far as prefelt, I lifted off a lot of the water and there was very little soap. I rolled it carefully in the roll and put it in its jaws. Lowered the rollers and braced myself. It worked. I had expected fibre and pool roll flying across the studio and hours of cleaning up, but instead the roll flew around and the noise wasn’t so bad either. Obviously it needs the weight of the felt – doh. I also watched the directions of the rolls and there is no way it could work roll end up as it would just unwind.
I followed the directions and rolling it for 1 min. opened it and nothing had happened. Repeated it. Nothing. repeated it. Nothing. I then left it on for 8 minute. Nothing.
In the instructions it states that soap speeds up the felting, but can make it uncontrollable. Soap it is then.
I added some olive oil soap and a little warm water, then gave it 4 minutes. This time there were signs that the ground and prefelt were felting, but the orange roving was still lifting off.
I am impatient for results – that why I love felting and so I am a little frustrated at this point. I decided to leave it until tomorrow.